Tuesday 31 July 2012

The Law Games: Dangerous Games Rnd 2

Welcome to the latest instalment of #TheLawGames! My musings on all things Olympics and the law.

In an earlier post, I covered the decision to deny Abu Qatada bail during his ongoing battle against deportation to Jordan. It seemed to me that in the final assessment, Mitting J's decision turned on the fact that the Met would be so busy policing the Olympics, they would not have the resources to supervise Qatada's stringent bail conditions.

The judgment received relatively little coverage despite the fact that Qatada was acknowledged to have spent a "lamentable" period of time in custody without any trial on the substantive charges he faces. Well, it seems that I wasn't the only one left discomforted by the decision as the media reports that Qatada's legal team will today seek permission for Judicial Review against his detention  together with a writ of habeas corpus.

I'll be keeping a  close eye on this one!

Follow me @MEtienne12 and the hearing on Twitter @DannyShawBBC

No comments:

Post a Comment